(Livonia, July 23, 2013) – The Buy Michigan Now Festival has always been a family-friendly weekend to celebrate our great state but now it got a little more fun for families. The annual festival – which returns to downtown Northville August 2-4 – will kick off the annual event on Friday, August 2 with a “Family Fun Day,” jam packed with fun and prizes.
The Kids Zone, presented by Tubby's Sub Shops, can be found on North Center Street. The Kids Zone is home to games, arts & crafts, contests, mascots, magic, and more. While there, parents and children are invited to enter to win prizes ranging from free ice cream to Tubby's subs to Fatheads of Detroit sports teams. The Friday Family Fun Day on August 2 features Special Events – subject to change – including:
- 12 p.m. – Magician Chris Clark in Town Square
- 1 p.m. – Meet Roary, the Detroit Lions Mascot
- 2 p.m. – Dancing with the DJ presented by Joe Cornell Entertainment
- 2:30 p.m. – Magician Chris Clark in Town Square
- 3 p.m. – Meet Paws, the Detroit Tigers Mascot
- 3 p.m. – Dancing with the DJ presented by Joe Cornell Entertainment
The Kids Zone –which has programming throughout the entire weekend August 2-4 – is open during the following hours:
Friday, August 2: 12-5 p.m.
Saturday, August 3: 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Sunday, August 4: 11 a.m.- 5 p.m.
The Buy Michigan Now Festival continues through August 4 in downtown Northville. The FREE weekend celebration focuses attention on Michigan-based businesses and locally-produced merchandise to help stimulate the economy. More than 100 vendors and merchants are scheduled to participate. The event is once again made possible through the sponsorship support of Michigan businesses and other organizations. In addition to hosting once again with downtown Northville, returning sponsors Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, Hiller’s Markets, The Catalyst Company, Mousetrap Mobile, and Tom Holzer Ford are joined by new festival sponsor, ACO Hardware.
The 5th Annual Buy Michigan Now Festival weekend event schedule is highlighted by:
- The Main stage (located in Town Square on Main Street) filled with music from local artists, throughout the weekend, including Friday Night Concert Series headliners, Social Bones and Saturday’s Festival headliners, Mainstreet Soul
- The Michigan Wine & Beer Garden (located in Town Square on Main Street) gives adults 21 and over the chance to enjoy Michigan craft beers and wines offered by the Northville Chamber of Commerce during select hours (August 2: 5-10 p.m., August 3: 2-10 p.m. & August 4: noon-3 p.m.) Admission to the Beer Garden is free and proceeds from beverage sales benefit the Chamber and the Buy Michigan Now campaign.
- Water Sales for School Supplies During the festival, Buy Michigan Now volunteers will be selling bottled water donated by Absopure. Proceeds will benefit Operation Kid Equip (OKE), a local nonprofit that provides school supplies for underprivileged youth in Metro Detroit. On July 10, a flood struck the OKE offices, destroying tens of thousands of dollars in donated school supplies. These water sales help restore the losses sustained from water damage.
- Northville’s First Friday Experience (Participating Northville galleries, shops and restaurants). Guests can experience a unique and memorable evening filled with art exhibits/demonstrations, shopping and dining.
“The Buy Michigan Now Festival is unique because it’s a fest on a mission. In addition to providing great food, entertainment, and fun, we are dedicated to helping Michigan businesses grow. It’s going to be companies like these, each adding one or two more jobs that brings our economy back on track, and we want to help them do it,” said Lisa Diggs.
Main and Center streets in central Northville will be closed to allow for pedestrian traffic throughout the weekend. The Buy Michigan Now Festival is scheduled to run August 2-4 during the following hours:
- 12 p.m. -9 p.m. on Friday, August 2
- 1o a.m.-8 p.m. on Saturday, August 3
- 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday, August 4
For information on exhibitor or sponsorship opportunities, contact Buy Michigan Now at 248-390-0974 or Fest@BuyMichiganNow.com. For the most up-to-date information, visit www.BuyMichiganNowFest.com. For those on the go, they can receive up-to-date festival schedule information and a chance to win cool prizes when they text BUYMINOW to 57780.