Charter granted to Michigan’s first fraternity of Masons
April 27 @ 12:00 am
The Provincial Grand Master of the Free and Accepted Masons in New York issued a charter to a Masonic lodge in Detroit on this day in 1764. Zion Lodge of Masons, No. 1 was the first west of the Alleghenies. granted to Masons in Detroit on this day in 1764. The Detroit Masons first adopted the name Zion Lodge in 1794 when they began operating under a new charter from Quebec. The group went on to build the largest Masonic Temple in the world. Both the fraternity and the building still exist today.