We’d like to thank Governor Whitmer for continuing a tradition that dates back to 2009, and proclaiming July 31 – August 6, 2023 as Buy Michigan Week. It’s no surprise that around here, we believe every day is a Buy Michigan day, but we also believe strongly in the value of dedicating a specific week to it each year. Our intention is to inspire each individual, and organization, across our state to dedicate some time to examining where their dollars are going. Then take action to shift more spending to Michigan-based businesses. Here are a few ideas…
Individuals and Families
- Each time you spend dollars out of state, like shopping online, think about whether or not there is a local alternative.
- Stop at a produce stand, U-pick site, or farmers market, and buy directly from a grower.
- Skip the national chains and shop at individually-owned stores in your neighborhood.
- Try a Michigan-made product that you’ve never had before.
- Invite some family or friends to celebrate with dinner in a local eatery, or by preparing a meal made entirely with Michigan ingredients.
- Review the vendors that your organization uses and determine if any are out of state.
- Hire a local graphic artist, writer, lawyer, insurance agent, or other professional.
- Find out where your website is hosted and switch it to a local server, if it’s not in Michigan.
- Publicly tout the skills and expertise of local providers you do business with.
- Use your social media, newsletter, podcast, media buys, etc. to encourage others to buy locally and support our economy.