The Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center (BBAC), a nonprofit community art center serving the Detroit region, is once again hosting the Michigan Fine Arts Competition(MFAC). It has done so annually since 1982, when the Detroit Institute of Arts turned the statewide competition over to the BBAC. Every year, more than 500 artists from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin enter the competition.
The MFAC is juried by artist(s) or curator(s) of distinction, who select current work of the highest quality. Cash awards are intended to support working artists, while recognizing the contributions they make to the cultural fabric of our region.
- Online Application Process Opens—March 20
- APPLICATION DEADLINE— May 29 2018
- Juror Results— Mon., June 4 — Posted on BBAC website, BBArtCenter.org; accepted & declined artists will be sent an email
- Intakeof Accepted Artwork — Mon.-Fri., June 11-15, 10am–4pm + Sat., June 16, Noon-4pm
- Award Notification(by email) — Thurs., Jun. 21 (by the end of the day)
- Exhibition Opens— Fri., Jun. 22; Reception & Awards Presentation 6-8pm
- Exhibition Closes— Thurs., Aug 23, 5pm
- Exhibition Outtake— Fri., Aug. 24 & Sat., Aug. 25, 10am–4pm & Mon-Tues, Aug. 27-28, 10am-4pm
Participation is open to all artists 18 and older, living and working in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin. Original works in all media (except video or canvas/gallery-wrapped copies) created and/or finished after January 1, 2016 will be accepted for jury providing those works have not been previously exhibited at the BBAC.
Entry Fee: $40 (non-refundable) payable online by Visa, MasterCard or PayPal only.
For additional information and/or to apply visit www.bbartcenter.org/2018-mfac-prospectus.